Adopted in 1974, the “Recommendation on Education 1974” of the United Nation, was written in the spirit of international understanding, on cooperation in the field of human rights and fundamental freedoms and considered a landmark legal document that promotes international understanding, human rights, fundamental freedoms.
Since 1974, society has faced new global challenges. These include climate change, infectious diseases, pandemics, the rapid spread of ideologies of hate and violence, unsustainable consumption and production patterns, systemic racism, and persistent inequalities.
Faster pace of development in the field of education nowadays is associated with a significant increase in the amount of research in the field of education and the introduction of innovations. The responses of education systems to social challenges are becoming increasingly evidence-based, inclusive and cross-sectoral, requiring collaboration across societies and across traditional boundaries (territorial and cultural).
The revision of the Recommendation represents a unique opportunity to revive and update the global consensus on the role of education – in all its forms – in preparing learners of all ages and future generations to withstand future shocks and shape a more just, sustainable, healthy and peaceful future.
The goals of the revision are:
- ensure that the document – its structure and technical guidance – is consistent with its stated objectives and can inspire relevant policy development.
- strengthen the commitment of Member States to implement the guidelines contained in the Recommendation and reflected in the SDG 2030 Agenda.
Revision procedure includes following stages:
- Preparation of observation of relevant documents and studies. [ December 2021 – January 2022]
- Technical consultations with the UN and other global, regional and multilateral partners, donors, civil society organizations, professional networks (including educators), national technical experts, and youth. At this stage, an international expert group, composed of experts appointed by the Secretary-General in his personal capacity, will be established in March 2022 to help propose initial amendments to the 1974 Education Recommendation.
- These initial consultations will contribute to the preparation of the first draft of the revised Recommendation. [March – May 2022]
- Official consultations with member states.
- Subsequently, UNESCO will convene an Ad Hoc Committee to consider the second draft. There will be a sufficient number of intergovernmental consultations on the text of the revised Recommendation before it is submitted to the General Conference for approval. [September 2022 – 2023 till adoption]
The revision of the 1974 Education Recommendation is taking place with the participation of government organizations and civil society organizations. The collection of opinions and discussions takes place online. In March 2022, within the framework of the project, the experts of the Center filled out a large questionnaire, providing data on the integration of sustainable development issues into educational programs in secondary schools in Russia.